Hi Grandpa and Grandma too!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Balding heads, holding on to ponytails?



Okay, it is obvious to me that I live in Florida.

I say that to say this, I am old enough, been around and witnessed the days when White dudes wore ponytail and mullet hairstyles everywhere, and Black men (and women) sported afros of all sizes; that was fine back then; after all, they were all the rage back in the day. They were in vogue. I even wore my cute little ‘fro for a number of years—say it loud, I’m Black and proud, as the Godfather of Soul, James Brown, used to say. Lol! Yes, I am dating myself.
Dad's Bald Head
News flash! That was over thirty years ago! It is now 2011, a new millennium, dudes; and there have been many other hairstyles introduced since the sixties. So I submit to you there is no good reason for anyone to be still sporting any of those hairdos today (unless, of course, you are taking part in a play or movie) read: retro.

Recently, as I waited my turn in a jury selection box, I had to use all the will power in me to suppress the giggles as laughter threatened to escape me and possibly get me in trouble. Obviously, I had plenty of time on my hands, otherwise I would not have noticed the three--count them: one, two, three balding men still sporting their sixties ponytails! What are the odds? There were only about twenty five people in the courtroom, that’s got to be some kind of freaky statistic!

Anyway, I can see trying to hold on to our youth; heck, those were fun days and it was fun to be a hippie, or flower girl, or burn our bras and all that stuff. But guess what? Those days are over and they are never coming back, just like our hair! Let’s face it, we are now (Gasp!) our parents. We are the establishment, OMG! We grew up—or should have, to have our own jobs and children and homes. And now, we are quickly becoming our grandparents. Where did all that time go?

Anyway, I am ranting. But as we go into the sunset, let’s do it with the same gusto we displayed when we were younger, and please let’s find a hairstyle now that speaks to our new station in life. After all, our grandchildren are looking, and I think, they might be saying:

“No, I can’t like it” to our continued use of outdated hairstyles.

And that’s what I am talking about!

Marcia C

No comments:

Post a Comment